torsdag 23 februari 2017

Options menu and the troubles following it.

In my last blogpost I talked, briefly, about how i was making the main menu. Since then i've put my focus on doing an options menu with proper settings like, resolutions and volume control.
In the beginning i checked out tutorials for how to make option menus and how to implement different options for the entire game and not just one scene.

I started in a simple manner with implementing the fullscreen wich was suprisingly simple. Literally three lines of code was all that was needed for it to be functioning (I'll never get over how simple everything seems to be in unity).


What I thought would be the hardest thing to implement was resolutions since different computers have different settings for their resolutions based on their graphics card (I think it's the only thing resolutions are based on but i can be very wrong).  The reolusitons itself was simple to implement, I just made the computer check what resolutions it had available and stored them in an array.
The current problem with the resolutions are that most of the resolutions appear several times in the list and i can't figure out how to make it so that it only appears once.

The volume controls showed itself to be a problem. The volume control itself was simple, just tying the value of the volume of the audio source to a slider was simple, but to make it work over the entire game eluded me. Now it only works on the main menu. I'm thinking that  putting all the music and sound effects into prefabs will remove the problem, but i've yet to try it.



I also worked on a proper pause menu for the game but it's just all the scripts and buttons from the main menu put in the scenes. The only thing i added to the pause menu that isn't in the main menu is a pause script to keep the game from running while you play and avoid unnessecary frustrations.
Although i'm looking for a way where you don't need to put the paue menu into every scene to be able to use it.

1 kommentar:


  1. This blog post tells me what you have been doing this week and how. I think you explain those parts well. I like that you think of making your game user friendly. I am missing the why though? Why are you focusing on an options menu? Why do you think the menu options will improve the gaming experience? I absolutely think it’s a good idea to implement it, unless it take to much time. But I think you should make it clear on the why.

    I wish I could help you with your problems, with the resolutions appearing several times in the list and the volume only working in the menu, but I have not looked into that before and I choose to prioritize other things in my own project. I hope you will find working solutions soon and if you run into too much trouble try find someone that can help you solve it. I don’t think you should spend too much time on this.
    Keep up the good work!
    /Sebbe

    SvaraRadera