torsdag 9 februari 2017

5SD06 First post. Talking about the camera issues.

I'm Tobias Holm and I'm the lead programmer in the group "Fenrir".
In this post i will discuss the problems I had with the camera system in our game.


Our game concept is "Bullet_Hack". The main theme of the game is a split screen system where you play a pseudo stealth game on one screen and a space shooter, while you hack doors and other things, on the other.

This sounded fairly simple to create when we first started on the game, but I quickly found out it was anything but simple. Since I'm the lead programmer it was my job to make the cameras.
What I wanted the camera to do was to switch between eachother on player input. this proved far more difficult than I imagined.

I struggled for a long time with the cameras and nothing i found on the internet helped, most of the stuff i found was outdated and no longer aplied in the newer versions of unity. Indeed, the cameras turned into the bane of my existence for TWO weeks before I decided that what I wanted the cameras to do was outside the extent of my coding skills and thus i decided to make it pseudo split screen instead.

 To create a pseudo split screen I just change scenes to another scene with the exact same camera setup when the player gives the correct input.



In this picture you see how the camera setup is. It does indeed look like split screen, but you can only interact with the red circle and the blue rectangle. The lower screen will show a static image or an animation showing progress and what power ups ypu have.
 To make it look like split screen i just change scenes when the game should change the screens.
This works on a fundamental level but I will try to make the cameras work the way I originally  wanted for the beta deadline but I will not make it a priority or even work on it until we are comfortable that we are almost done with everything we need for the deadline..

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar